Thursday 22 October 2015

Holiday Reads......


We never seem to have time for books at home, there always seems to be more pressing matters which need attention. So holidays provide valuable uninterrupted time for reading - a  really enjoyable indulgence.


Here are my recent eclectic reads in the Med.......







The Girl in the Spider's Web 
David Lagercrantz, George Goulding

a really gripping read which is written in the style of the late author Stieg Larsson who wrote the fantastic Girl with Dragon Tattoo trilogy. Lisbeth Salander is again brought to life with sinister twists and turns.  I don't think this will be the last offering as the ending allows for much speculation.


The Shape of Water: The Inspector Montalbano Mysteries - Book 1
Andrea Camilleri

having watched and enjoyed the Montalbano series on TV I was encouraged to read the books to see how they compare.  I wasn't disappointed.  Clearly more detail is evident in the books and the mixture of fiction and farce is amusing and chaotic at times. I have downloaded the second of these and look forward to the next holiday......

Go Set a Watchman
Harper Lee

As a schoolgirl I read "To Kill a Mockingbird" and also saw the film starring Gregory Peck.  As with many other people you could not help but be moved by the story and take away a lasting impression of the injustices which exist and that there are people who are willing to stand up and be counted.

So when this sequel came out I was fascinated to see what happening next. I read many reviews including those on Amazon which on the whole were quite negative and so my expectations were not very high as a consequence. 
I was disappointed overall but it is still worth a read. I understand that Harper Lee wrote this before Mocking Bird which I find puzzling in terms of the character of Atticus and what he stands for......don't want to give the game away so read and judge for yourself....

The Fatherland
Richard Harris

I downloaded this quite a while ago and was looking forward to this book on holiday.  I have read many of Robert Harris's novels and find them quite compelling.  His research and thoroughness provides a sound foundation for the narrative. If the Germans had won the war is this how the future would be........? Fascinating, thought provoking and disturbing.  Excellent!

I am pleased I am a convert to "Kindle".  It took a little time to get used to using it and like many other people I used to say that you couldn't replace the enjoyment of holding a book.  Well I now wouldn't dream of buying a book unless it contained many photos, diagrams and illustrations.
It is like carrying around  your own personal library which is discrete and compact.  No longer have to worry about the weight allowance on the plane and another bonus is the low cost......no brainer!


No comments:

Post a Comment