Sunday 21 July 2013

This is your reward..........





On our last holiday I observed a woman who seemed to hardly move from her sun lounger.  She read and read and read. I marvelled at the way she gave way to total relaxation. She was so still it was easy to sketch her. 

The only time I really read books is on holiday. The rest of the time I have always felt guilty reading  as there was always something that needed to be done.  At least on holiday my self imposed demands disappear.

With the fantastic heat wave I decided to break the habit of a lifetime and dug out the sun lounger and quite decadently gave way to laziness - well at least for an hour or two.  I am not a natural sun worshipper and am very conscious of the damage which this can cause to the skin. It is so uncomfortable no matter how much shade you import or arrange the seating and coverings, the feeling of overheating and stickiness prevails.  Trying to put these thoughts aside - I revisited "The Great Gatsby". I have taken to downloading several books on to my Kindle - "just in case" and fortunately this was one of the books in my menu. It is a few years since I last read it and so it was almost like starting anew.  I thoroughly enjoyed being whisked back in time and being confronted with the complexity of relationships and the frailty of human beings and the consequence of their actions. 

My husband commented that in all the years he has known me - this was probably the first time he had seen me indulge in this way and thought it was a healthy sign.......as he quoted from a recent TV ad.....something along the lines of.....this is your reward for having had to attend all those meetings, all the juggling of work and home............

I smiled at this ......and then mowed the lawn........

No comments:

Post a Comment