Thursday 6 November 2014

Secrets of a long healthy life!!

I know I keep banging on about health and fitness and the benefits derived from a good plan and actions.  I see my family and friends glaze over when we discuss what you should be doing and compare with what we are doing.  As we reach out mature years you realise that all the investment pays off and in the main you get the body you deserve.  However it is never too late!!

Thats why I thought I would share these articles with you and also the quiz below....fascinating reading with some helpful advice.  The Mail does tend to produce some useful health articles which highlight current research.  I know they are probably included in other publications but I find reading the Mail on line is easy and enjoyable.

Its my birthday on Saturday and I suppose these anniversaries make you take stock!! We are all saints and sinners!!


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2822882/Key-longevity-mind-sense-purpose-extend-life-two-years.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2818200/Middle-aged-women-30-minutes-exercise-day-cut-chance-developing-breast-cancer-fifth.html


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2821157/Try-test-reveals-brain-age-read-knock-years-it.html

ANSWER EITHER 'TRUE' OR 'FALSE' TO THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS: 
1. I get between seven and eight hours (or more) sleep each night.
2. I eat at least five or more servings of fruits and vegetables high in antioxidants daily.
3. I eat at least one serving of blueberries, raspberries or blackberries daily.
4. I eat baked or grilled fish high in omega-3 fatty acids at least three times a week.
5. I take fish oil supplements high in omega-3 fatty acids or flaxseed supplements at least five times per week.
6. I take folic acid supplementation and a daily multivitamin.
7. I take a low-dose aspirin daily.
8. I drink red wine or grape juice at least five times a week.
9. I exercise most days of the week for at least 30 minutes each time (total of three hours or more of strenuous exercise weekly).
10. I read challenging books, do crossword puzzles or Sudoku, or engage in activities that require active learning, memorising, computation, analysis and problem solving at least five times a week.
11. I have ‘longevity genes’ in my family, with members who have lived to 80 and older without memory loss.
The quiz asks whether a person eats at least five or more servings of fruits and vegetables each day
The quiz asks whether a person eats at least five or more servings of fruits and vegetables each day
12. My total cholesterol is below 5.2 mmol/l.
13. My LDL (‘bad’) cholesterol is below 3.3 mmol/l.
14. I am not obese (less than 1.4 stone overweight for a woman; less than 2.1 stone overweight for a man).
15. I eat a Mediterranean style diet — one high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds, with olive oil as the source of fat and little red meat.
16. Instead of butter and margarine, I use olive oil and no trans-fat spreads.
17. I have never smoked cigarettes.
18. I have normal blood pressure.
19. I do not have diabetes.
20. I do not have metabolic syndrome (high triglycerides, central obesity, and hypertension), also called insulin resistance syndrome.
21. I do not have a sleep disorder such as snoring or obstructive sleep apnea or untreated insomnia.
22. Daily uncontrolled stress is not a problem for me.
23. I have a strong support group and enjoy many activities with friends, colleagues, and family members.
24. I have no problems with short or long-term memory.
25. I’m ready to prevent Alzheimer’s and am willing to do whatever it takes. 
And those taking part in the quiz are asked if they drink red wine or grape juice five times a week
And those taking part in the quiz are asked if they drink red wine or grape juice five times a week
NOW ADD UP HOW MANY QUESTIONS YOU ANSWERED 'TRUE' TO... AND SEE WHAT YOUR SCORES MEAN: 

0-11: You have a high risk of Alzheimer’s. Add 10 years to your chronological age for your Real Brain Age. Right now, call your doctor and talk openly about health problems you have. Ask if you’re doing all you can to manage these problems.
12-14: You have a moderate risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Add five years to your chronological age for your Real Brain Age. While there’s not a lot of disparity between your Real Brain Age and your chronological age, you need to understand the risks you have that increase the chances of Alzheimer’s. 
15-19: OK. Your Real Brain Age is the same as your chronological age. That said, you have a mild risk of Alzheimer’s disease, so pay attention. Carefully review the quiz to see what changes you need to make to your diet, exercise, mental stimulation or rest and relaxation. 
20-22: Not bad! Subtract ten years from your chronological age for your Real Brain Age. You are doing a lot to take care of your physical and mental health. Check the specific questions that you marked ‘False’ and be sure to pay attention to changes you need to make.
23-25: Congratulations, you are ageing well! Subtract 15 years from your chronological age for your Real Brain Age. You are presently healthy, with a youthful and productive mind. Unless things change in your life, your risk of Alzheimer’s disease is extremely low.
It’s important that you review the quiz and circle any of the statements that indicate some work is needed. Talk to your GP about your risk factors to see if treatment is indicated. 


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2821157/Try-test-reveals-brain-age-read-knock-years-it.html#ixzz3IIoUgByB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment