Friday 25 April 2014

NHS Health Check

So we are going to talk about us mature ladies preparing ourselves for the summer………..

How better to start with health check up?  Must admit it wasn't at the top of my list but an invitation came throughout the post for a free NHS check up. Apparently these checkups which are available every 5 years are targeting the 40-74 age group.  (What happens to you after 74 is a mystery!!) .

The information said….

The check is to assess your risk of developing heart disease, stroke, kidney disease or diabetes. If there are any warning signs, then together we can do something about it.

By taking early action, you can improve your health and prevent the onset of these conditions.  There is  good evidence of this.

Put in these terms its an offer I can't refuse!

They  have already booked me in for a blood test next week to measure cholesterol.  Then the following week I will meet with Health Care Assistant who will make the check based on questions and measurements such as age, sex, family history, height, weight and blood pressure.

The comforting thing to me is that my lifestyle, exercise, weight, diet are fairly healthy and I do practice what I preach in past blogs. The  only concern I have is around blood pressure - I only have to see the BP monitor for the BP reading to rise alarmingly.  I know its called "white coat syndrome" but it does unnerve me!  In the past I had to have 24 hour monitoring to establish that the BP does eventually settle down to an acceptable level.

Anyway it will be worthwhile I am sure and clearly when you move into the mature years its more imperative to take heed.

So this is my first step to the summer ….getting my house in order! Will provide feedback in due course :)

Are you ready for a check up? This what is available in the UK on the NHS - maybe if you are not from the UK you will have some provision in your own Country - now's the time to do your homework - makes sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment